Summer Sermon Series: Proverbs
"The book of Proverbs is practical help from God for weak people like us stumbling through daily life. It is his counsel for the perplexed, his strength for the defeated, his warning to the proud, his mercy for the broken. The book of Proverbs is the gospel - good news for the inept thorugh the wisdom of Another. We have every reason to receive it with a whole heart." (Proverbs: Wisdom that Works, 13).
This summer at River City Church as a church community we will spend June, July, and August in the first half (the book is split into two sections: Chapters 1-9 and Chapters 10-31) of the book of Proverbs. I am excited to spend time in the wisdom literature of God's Word as it is rich with truth and timely in application for the disciple of Jesus.
Many times I am asked how I decide and make decisions of what books of the Bible/or series that we preach and teach through at River City. My answer, beyond spending time in prayer and assessing the life of our church community, is the following outline which helps balance our preaching each year. This is intentional in helping biblical literacy and understanding the metanarrative of God's Word. In each calendar year, we will spend time preaching and teaching
- in the Gospels/Acts (ex: Mark, Sermon on the Mount)
- in the Old Testament (ex: Ecclesiastes, Nehemiah, Habakkuk, Proverbs)
- in an Epistle (ex: 1 Peter, Colossians, Ephesians, 1 Timothy, 1 Peter)
- in an Advent series leading up to Christmas
11 Men Preaching
Throughout the Proverbs Sermon Series we will have eleven different members/men preaching. This will be overseen by the elders of River City. We believe the elders are called and responsible to lead in preaching and teaching. The Lord has blessed us as a church with multiple men that are able to accurately and appropriately handle the Word of God. Not all of the men preaching are elders, but those preaching will submit an outline/trascript to be reviewed. Feedback will be given as the elders live out the role of oversight in preaching. We believe this process is healthy for us as a church for multiple reasons.
- Preachers will be developed as experienced is gained. A fellow church planter once told me that, "if you desire to develop preachers, you have to allow them to preach.....that can't happen if you are always preaching."
- A church community will learn that they are not dependent on God's gifting of a singular individual to be the 'only' man to preach. Since we have a high view of the Word of God and the robust theology that springs forth - all of what the Holy Spirit does in the heralding of the good news isn't up to us anyways. We trust that the Lord will glorify Himself through the men preaching at River City this coming summer.
- A pastors role (specifically the lead pastor) is more than just preparing and preaching sermons. This process will allow for some vacation time to rest and be with my family. Additionally it will provide time to focus on other areas such as: developing leaders, explore a global missions opporutnity for late summer, preparing and preaching wedding ceremonies, doing proactive care for our members, and ongoing counseling of those in crisis. I will still preach four times in this series, and around 38 Sunday's in 2015 (73% of the time).
- Other men peaching will bring forth different styles of communication, different illustrations, different tones, and different stories of grace that they speak out of. The tone set for preaching will continue as men hold fast to God's Word, take a passage and exposit it for the edification of the saints, as well will provide a challenge to those not yet following Jesus. This will allow our preferences to die a bit, and cause the consumer mindset to be seen in some of us for what it truly is, sinful. I am prayerful that we come this summer to receive truth and for our affections for Jesus to grow as opposed to consume an experience or listen to the 'guy' that I like or am used to.
- June 1 - Brett Moser Intro - (Proverbs 1:1-7)
- June 8 - Brett Moser (Proverbs 1:8-19)
- June 15 - Josh Svaleson (Proverbs 1: 20-33)
- June 22 - Michael Heitland (Proverbs 2: 1-22)
- June 29 - Jeremy Martinson (Proverbs 3: 1-8)
- July 6 - Aaron Tetzlaff (Proverbs 3: 9-12)
- July 13 - Brett Moser (Proverbs 3: 13-35)
- July 20 - Dan Holder (Proverbs 4: 1-27)
- July 27 - Charlie Hogstad (Proverbs 5: 1-23)
- August 3 - Jon Simmons (Proverbs 6: 1-19)
- August 10 - Myron Martinson (Proverbs 6:20 - 7:27)
- August 17 - Greg Haugen (Proverbs 8:1-36)
- August 24 - Brett Moser (Proverbs 9: 1-9)
- August 31 - Jake Peterson (Proverbs 9: 10-18)
We anticipate a great summer together leading up to the celebration of our 5th anniversary in September. May the Lord continue to make disciples who make disciples through the preaching and living out of the glorious Gospel of Jesus.
More in River City Blog
May 8, 2018Five Celebrations of a Missional Community: Part Five
April 24, 2018Five Celebrations of a Missional Community: Part Four
April 18, 2018Five Celebrations of a Missional Community: Part Three